The Bowmanville Boys’ Training School. The facility was built on land donated by local merchant John H.H. Jury and opened in 1925. It was a school designed to help boys who had come from disadvantaged circumstances or had broken the law. During World War II the boys were sent off-site because their school became a German Prisoner of War Camp. Extra barracks, guard towers and a double barbed wire fence were built and it became known as Camp 30. This camp housed 700 of the highest ranking German prisoners and their time is noted for its many escape attempts and the Battle of Bowmanville. The property became a school again after the war and operated until 1979. It has had several owners since then and there is a movement to designate the site.
Photograph from the Clarington Museums and Archives Collection.