Pre-Conference Symposium

Registration Now Open For the “Series Symposium” AAO Pre-Conference Event

Date: Tuesday April 25, 2017

Time: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

Location: City of Toronto Archives (255 Spadina Road – near Dupont subway station)

Coffee/tea and lunch will be provided!

The series system is a method of archival arrangement that separates descriptions of records from descriptions of record creators, allowing greater continuity and the ability to capture multiple provenance over time. Developed in Australia, only a few institutions in Canada have adopted it.

Institutions that have implemented the system, or an iteration of the system, will share their perspectives and lessons learned, and will also discuss the challenges and future directions of the series system through a combination of presentations in the morning and panel discussions in the afternoon.

Confirmed presentations/participants include Archivist of Ontario John Roberts, the Archives of Ontario, Library and Archives Canada, and the City of Ottawa Archives.

We invite all archivists and institutions who are interested in the subject to participate and attend.

To register and view an agenda, please click on the Eventbrite link: 

Please note that there will be an Adobe Connects and teleconference line for those who cannot physically attend the symposium. Once you’ve registered via Eventbrite, you will be sent an e-mail with details and links on how to connect prior to April 25th. 

For questions please contact Aaron Hope at 

Cost: Free.

The symposium is hosted by the Archives of Ontario and Library and Archives Canada. The presentations will be in English only.

Posted in DRAAG Information | Leave a comment

Ajax Archives – 1967

The development of the Town of Ajax can be directly tied to World War II and the location of Defence Industries Limited (DIL), the largest shell filling plant in the British Commonwealth. Given that the town did not exist in 1867, the year of Confederation, there is nothing in the holdings about that eventful year.

However, the Town of Ajax was around in 1967 and celebrated the 100th Anniversary of Confederation with a parade.

For more information on the archival collection for the Town of Ajax, visit History, Heritage and Archives. 

1967 - 1867 Float Celebrating Canada's 100th

Posted in DRAAG Information | Leave a comment

Northumberland County Archives – 1867 and 1967

Thomas 11


On January 9, 1967, Cobourg town council held their inaugural meeting in the courtroom of Victoria Hall dressed in authentic reproduction costumes reminiscent of the 1867 period.

IMG_0890Minutes from the 1867 town council meeting were read by the town clerk, J.B Ewart, as a course of re-enacting what had transpired at council 100 years ago. The Northumberland County Archives also holds contemporaneous council minutes for the Townships of Alnwick/Haldimand and Cramahe and the Town and Municipality of Brighton in its collection.



Lenah Fisher, Deputy-Reeve of Cobourg in 1967, served on town council as her grandfather, John C. Field had done in 1867. Ms. Fisher is remembered and cherished in Cobourg for her feisty personality, political engagement, (she served a total of 16 years on town council), and significant contributions to heritage preservation in Cobourg. Ms. Fisher was a champion of the Victoria Hall Restoration project, successfully fighting against the demolition of the iconic town hall built in 1860.

Victoria Hall


The Northumberland County Archives has a large collection of newspapers from the Cobourg World and Cobourg Sentinel dating back to the 1840s. Reeve Wib Thomas and Mayor Jack Heenan are pictured here reading a 1967 photo-lithographic reproduction of the Friday, July 5th, 1867 edition of the Cobourg World. The issue includes an article which accounts

To learn more about Northumberland County in 1867 up to today, please visit the archives.

Northumberland County Archives.

Thomas 10


Posted in DRAAG Information | Tagged , , ,

Whitby Archives – 1867 and 1967

1867News 1867

In 1867, the Town of Whitby threw a big party to celebrate Canada’s first birthday on July 1. The plan for Dominion Day was printed in local newspapers and 8000 people came from the surrounding area to take part in the festivities. 

The day consisted of a mock battle performed by the 34th Ontario Regiment, speeches, a pic-nic, field games, and a torch-lit parade in the evening. Perhaps the most exciting feature of the day was the feu de joie, a 350-gun salute in honour of the new nation!  

Read the rest of the program which appeared in the Whitby Chronicle on June 20, 1867.



To mark the beginning of Canada’s Centennial year in 1967, Whitby’s political elites celebrated with a costume party at Leslie and Bea McFarlane’s house on New Year’s Eve. Leslie McFarlane penned some of the first Hardy Boys novels and lived at 121 Green Street in Whitby. 

The rest of Whitby celebrated Canada’s 100th birthday with a parade and a 100-gun salute in honour of the original feu de joie in 1867. 

Posted in DRAAG Information | Tagged , , , ,

Oshawa Museum – 1867 and 1967

This year marks the 150th Anniversary of Confederation. The year will be filled with celebrations, retrospection and imagining where this country will be in another 150 years. To begin the celebration, member institutions of DRAAG have looked through their holdings to find the most interesting item from 1867 and 1967 in their collections!

Up first is the Oshawa Museum.


A960.19.5 (60-D-19)

On August 26, 1867 an Oshawa resident by the name of T.N. Gibbs received a telegram from John A. Macdonald.  The telegram is rather significant, not only because it was sent by Canada’s first Prime Minister, but it talks about the first election after Confederation.

Gibbs was not new to politics but this election would be his most notable. He ran against Reformer backed George Brown and Liberal John Sandfield Macdonald.  While Gibbs won, it was widely accepted that he do so by corrupt practices.

Gibbs was the only successful Conservative candidate in this area.  This meant that he acted as the local confidante for Sir John A. Macdonald. So much so, that we have another little note sent to Gibbs by Macdonald in our collection.

Canada celebrated the 100th Anniversary of Confederation on a large scale. 20170309_101914Locally, Oshawa joined in on the celebrations as well. Between beard growing contests, NHL exhibition games and special performances, the City marked the anniversary in a prominent way. Students in Oshawa schools spent a good part of the school year preparing for a Centennial Celebration held at the Civic Auditorium. The program included songs and dances, art work and projects that highlighted the differences between life in Oshawa in 1867 and 1967. The grade 7 and 8 students from E.A. Lovell School actually put on a performance showing the differences in physical training in 1867 and 1967. In the archives, we have the binder that was developed to outline all of the activities Oshawa schools engaged in related to the Centennial.


Posted in DRAAG Information | Tagged , , , ,

Archives Awareness Week

From April 3 to 9, archives across Ontario will be celebrating Archives Awareness Week. This annual event is designed to raise awareness of the many resources that can be found in Ontario’s many archival collections.

What is an archives?  The dictionary defines an archives as:

  • Usually, archives: documents or records relating to the activities, business dealings, etc., of a person, family, corporation, association, community, or nation.
  • archives, a place where public records or other historical documents are kept.

Within archives across Ontario, the collective history of the province can be found. Archives work to not only collect and preserve this history, but to make the information that can be found in these collections available to people worldwide.

This year, DRAAG will be celebrating not only Archives Awareness Week but will also celebrate the 150th Anniversary of Confederation by highlighting interesting items from our collections that date to 1867 and 1967.

Check back the first week of April to learn more about the fascinating item held in  archives throughout Durham Region and beyond.


Posted in DRAAG Information

Call For Papers

The Archives Association of Ontario (AAO) is pleased to announce its Call for Papers for the 2017 AAO Conference to be held 26-28 April 2017 in Toronto, Ontario (please note the conference is earlier this year so preparation deadlines have also been moved up).

Come Together : Meaningful Collaboration in a Connected World

Collaboration requires space and room in order to be meaningful – it is a journey that may take unforseen turns and produce unexpected connections and results. The Conference Program Committee invites proposals pertaining to all areas of archival theory and practice that address issues / experiences around partnership / collaboration.

Topics include, but are not limited to:

  • How can archives work more effectively with each other?
  • Have you been partnering with another institution or department for a sesquicentennial Canada 150 project?
  • How can archives work more effectively with organizations such as museums, libraries, or historical societies that house archival collections?
  • What are some of the innovative partnerships currently taking place in your institution?
  • Have you been working with local community groups
  • Has your institution been building relationships with Indigenous communities in response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action?

Submissions of proposals for individual papers or entire sessions are invited.

The proposals should be sent with a brief abstract of 250 words and a bio to:

AAO Office at

Use the subject line format:  AAO 2017 Conference Proposal_[last name, first name]

If you get a panel proposal together, please select a “point person” for your panel group and use the   subject line format: AAO 2017 Conference Proposal_PANEL-[title]-[last name, first name]

The deadline to submit proposals is 15 December 2016


We are happy to announce that the 2017 AAO Conference will include, depending on student interest / response, a Student Papers session and, possibly a Poster session.

A separate call for student submissions will be issued early in the New Year.

On behalf of the AAO 2017 Conference Program Committee

Posted in DRAAG Information | Tagged , , ,